My husband and I have been friends for 17 years. Wow, that’s a long time. We’ve been together for the last 10 years and been married for the last 4.5 years.
I said all of that to say as long as we have been together, we didn’t get a chance to have a wedding. We went to a judge outside and said our I do’s.
At that time we were up to baby number 4 and still in diapers.
I told my husband I wasn’t just going to be a baby’s mama.
Even though we didn’t get a wedding the only thing that was important to us was having each other.
So if you are getting married on a budget here are some ideas:
- Critique the Guest list – only invite family and friends you really want to be there; who you can’t be without
- Have the ceremony at someone’s home or outside – finding a building venue can get really expensive. Or have it somewhere outside with a great view. Just have a backup plan for bad weather
- Catering – do it yourself or with the help of family members. But if you must have it your way, hire family owned businesses. They tend to be less expensive.
- Cut the flowers – we all know how pricey fresh flowers can be so cute back. Maybe only the bide gets fresh flowers while everyone else gets fake ones. Nine times out of ten, no one even notices the difference.
- Forget about the wedding party gifts – you can splurge more on your honeymoon.
- Shop for inexpensive decorations – you will be amazed at what you can put together that looks magazine worthy
- Honeymoon simple – instead of going to a different country for a week or two stay closer at bay. Go somewhere that you haven’t been to together. The whole point is to enjoy each others company.
- Rent a dress or tuxedo – guys rent tuxes all the time. There are also wedding dress rentals. Or if you know someone who got married and has no need for their wedding dress you can get it altered and make it your own.
- Hire fresh photo talent – find someone fresh out of photography school and acquire their skills at a discount so they can grow their portfolio.
- Make your own invitations – the Internet is vast. There is a you tube video for everything.
Think it Through
Make sure you plan. Know your budget and know what you can deal with to live without.
I’m sure one day down the road I will apply some of these principles for myself.
Don’t think of a budget as a having a cheap wedding. Some people have amazing weddings by just doing some things off this list.
I know that there may be brides who want to go and buy their own dress. That’s fine.
I’m just saying if you can cut some costs in other places then you can cut your bill.
Be creative. Shop around. Ask for assistance when needed.
You can also request wedding labour instead of wedding gifts.
This should be a happy time. Not a time to start your marriage by getting in debt.
Please feel free to add any other ideas to share in the comments below.